Misaligned teeth not only lower your confidence and lead to oral health issues. That’s where the orthodontic treatment—teeth straightening—comes into play.
Did you know that the American Association of Orthodontics estimates 50-75% of Americans would benefit from orthodontics treatment? It’s true! Traditional braces have been the most sought-after orthodontic treatment option for decades. Recently, clear aligners are becoming increasingly popular among people, mainly due to their characteristic of being virtually invisible to human eyes.
The decision to choose between aligners vs. braces depends on a lot of things. Let us discuss this in detail.
What are clear or invisible aligners?
Aligners are tight-fitting custom-made orthodontic devices that help guide teeth into their proper position.
What are traditional braces?
Braces are dental tools that help correct problems with your teeth, like crowding, crooked teeth, or teeth that are out of alignment. Braces consist of brackets fixed onto the teeth, connected through wires and small rubber bands. They can be metal braces, colorful braces, or clear braces.
Consider which of the following factors is most important to you:
- Cosmetics – Are you proud of your smile or want to change it?
- Convenience – How often are you able to visit your orthodontist?
- Compliance – How much effort are you willing to make to progress in treatment?
- Comfort – How comfortable do you want your orthodontic treatment to be?
- Cost – Which treatment is more cost-effective for you?
Aligners vs. Braces – How to choose
- Treatment length: This usually varies according to different individuals. Conventional braces may take between 1 to 3 years, while aligners can take anywhere between 6 months to 2 years, depending upon the individual case.
- Cleaning: Metal braces require more attention when comes to cleaning your teeth as compared to aligners. Regular brushing, flossing, and routine dental visits are a must for metal braces. Maintaining cleanliness in the case of clear aligners is relatively easy.
- Removable: Conventional braces are fixed to your teeth. They stick onto the tooth surface and then are joined together with a wire. Clear aligners are removable orthodontic appliances and can be worn according to your convenience.
- Maintenance: Traditional metal braces require more thorough cleaning, scheduled orthodontic visits, and certain food restrictions. Clear aligners are removable and regular cleaning and flossing of both the mouth and aligners will help you get better results.
- Who is ideal for: Metal braces are not a fit option for image-conscious patients as they are quite visible. Metal braces are usually suitable for kids and teenagers. Clear aligners are a popular choice among adults.
- Cost: Clear aligners and braces run about the same price. But it’s not the same for every patient. The entire cost of treatment includes braces or aligner cost, appointment fee, follow-up appointments and post-care, and more.
Which solution is best?
Now that you know you can correct your misaligned or crooked teeth, you need to determine which solution is best for you. The short answer is that there’s no one way that works for everyone.
However, the easiest way to find out which orthodontic treatment will work best for you is to get a free consultation at South Flores Family Dental and Orthodontics. We are offering a complimentary orthodontic evaluation to patients at our San Antonio, Texas location.
We look forward to talking to you soon and helping you get started on the smile you deserve.
Call us at (210) 225-3333.