The system of dentistry has changed a lot in the past few years. Today, with a dental implant, the missing tooth is replaced with an artificial tooth. This artificial tooth does not just look like a real tooth but also functions in the same way. There are other alternatives too to cover a missing tooth like bridges or a root canal. However, a tooth implant is considered the most efficient and safe method of placing a tooth.
What is Dental Implant?
A dental implant or an endosseous implant is a surgical method where an artificial tooth is implanted into the jaw to support the other tooth. Sometimes a tooth broke because of trauma, injury, or age. In that case, many individuals prefer dental implanting to live a healthier, confident, and worry-free life. A dental implant does not hamper your adjacent teeth and is considered an ideal option for your missing teeth.
How is a Dental Implant done?
For a dental implant, you have to undergo 3 big stages. They are:
- Preparation of the Jawbone- The first step required in a dental implant is to fit the implant. In this stage, a screw-like implant is placed inside the jawbone to prepare the jaw for the new teeth. The dentist drills a hole inside the jaw to make space for the implant, and when the jawbone gets habitual to the implant, the healing process begins. This phase is also known as osseointegration. If you have a weak bone or a weak tooth, in that case, you may require bone grafting to help strengthen your muscles.
- Placement of the Abutment- Once the healing is over, your dentist will shift to the next step, where a small piece known as Abutment will be placed. Your doctor will open your wound and fix the abutment so that the crown can be angled correctly in alignment with the other teeth. After this stage, you have to wait for the healing to get over.
- Fixation of the Crown- A dental implant’s last and final stage involves fixing a custom made crown that works similarly to your real tooth. This artificial tooth will sit precisely in the same manner as your other teeth because of the above two steps. Once the crown is fixed inside your mouth, you have to do post-implant care.
What instructions to follow for post-care?
After the dental implant procedure, your dentist will suggest you to take proper precautions such as:
- Apply an ice pack if the swelling persists.
- The new teeth require the same oral hygiene as your other teeth require. So brush your teeth twice a day and use mouthwash when necessary.
- The patients should change their diet immediately after their implant surgery and start consuming soft foods like tofu, fish, fruits, soups, rice, yogurt, smoothies, ice-cream before healing gets over.
- Avoid smoking or other harsh items that can be damaging for your artificial tooth.
- Never indulge in any form of exercise after the implant, as it can cause bleeding.
- Visit your dentist regularly after the dental implant to avoid any further complications.
Are you interested in getting a Dental Implant?
If you also want to live a confident life and laugh vigorously with your loved ones without feeling embarrassed, you can visit the South Flores Dental and schedule a consultation regarding the dental implant treatment. The experts here will first evaluate and determine if you are the right candidate for this procedure and will guide you accordingly.
Image Credit: macrovector / Freepik